Press Releases and Interviews
- In the article On the Edge: Hidden in Plain Sight
By Rich Gray as a special edition to SPACE.com Dr. Neil F. Johnson and Dr. Hany Farid
were interviewed on the topic steganography. (Note: the description of embedding information in a JPEG is incorrect. The description is actually for embedding in the LSBs of a BMP image.)
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed for Tech Edge Magazine on the topics
steganography in image, audio, and video carriers and the relative
trade-offs between potential carrier characteristics, payload
size, and detection. Also discussed were other methods of data
embedding as means for tamper detection and bandwidth enhancement.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by Lee Gomes of the
Wall Street Journal
on the topics of steganography's use in history and
the likelihood of use and complexity of setting up communications.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was quoted in the Times Leader article Web site with area ties stirs terrorism concern by Jetty Lynott discussing the possibility of steganography being employed to conceal terrorist activities on http://www.azzam.com/ (a website hosted by a provider in Pennsylvania, USA). The point made is that once the suspicion of such activity was released to the public through e-mail and postings, then suspect pages and media would likely be removed.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed for Technology Review
related to issues of scanning for embedded information in vast amounts of data on the Internet.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by National Public Radio(NPR) reporter on the topics of steganography, cryptography, hackers, and privacy.
- Reporters for the Mason Gazette interviewed Dr. Neil F. Johnson about steganography and his research at GMU.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the topics of steganography, cryptography, and privacy for the BizTech Global Technology Summit (December 4-5 in Washington, DC).
- The Daily News Record the news paper from Dr. Neil F. Johnson's hometown highlighted his research and background in the articles:
City Native Becomes Top Code Detector and Steganography Used Commercially To Fight Copyright Violators
by Wendy Pagonis.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on CNN to discuss steganography and it's potential use for illicit communications
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on Voice of America Radio to discuss the basics and evolution of steganography
- Dr. Sushil Jajodia and Dr. Neil F. Johnson were interviewed and video taped by Belo on the topic of steganography and security
(Belo is one of the nation's largest media companies)
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on Columbia National Radio's Morning Show by Julio Sanchez to discuss the basics of steganography and how low-tech as well as high-tech methods can be employed (broadcast in Spanish)
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by Time Magazine to discuss steganography
- On National Public Radio (NPR) program 'All Things Considered' Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed to discuss steganography (Listen to the Interview)
- In the NY Times Article: Veiled Messages of Terrorists May Lurk in Cyberspace
by Gina Kolata, researchers involved in steganalysis were interviewed to discuss steganography and its analysis.
Unlike some of his colleagues, Dr. Neil F. Johnson refused to disclose the techniques and formats of detection stating that
"I think it's foolish to disclose what I'm scanning for, whether I'm scanning and whether I'm detecting anything."
- In La Repubblica Article:
Steganografia, la scienza
pił amata dai terroristi by Riccardo Stagliano', attributed comments to Dr. Neil F. Johnson related to his concerns over disclosing techniques and media formats related to discovering hidden information.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on CNET Radio's Morning Show with Brian Cooley to describe the basics of steganography and how low-tech as well as high-tech methods can be employed
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by French AFP News wire on steganography and security
- Knight-Ridder Tribune Business News Investigators Try to Trace Terrorists'
Footprints in Cyberspace 'The problem they are dealing with is sheer volume,' said Dr. Neil F. Johnson,
associate director of the Center for Secure Information Systems at George Mason University in Virginia.
'Who knows where this information has been disseminated or where they placed it.'
- TechTV Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the air during TechTV News on the concern that secret messages may be
distributed in news broadcasts and steganography in general.
- Yahoo Finance Vision:
On-air interview "Terrorists Find Hiding Place on the Net" - Neil Johnson, George Mason University
describes the many ways in which messages can be hidden on the Internet, and how law enforcement is likely to hunt for them. Interviewed by Lorna Ho and John Doubleday.
- Austrian National Radio, Vienna, Austria: Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed
to discuss steganography, how it can be used or misused.
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by ABC News on topics associated with
steganography, how it is done, and what are concerns related to intelligence and law enforcement.
- Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed by Kevin Mitnick during his radio program,
Darkside of the Internet, based at
KFI AM 640 in Los Angeles, California and is broadcasts over the Internet.
Technology Research News: Wednesday, September 26, 2001
In the article, Statistics sniff out secrets by reporter Kimberly Patch, Dr. Neil F. Johnson
is quoted based on and interview on the topic of statistical analysis and steganography detection.
- NewScientist: In the article Massive search reveals no secret code in web images
by Will Knight, Dr. Sushil Jajodia explained that data hiding need not be so technically sophisticated. Steganography does add a layer of secrecy,
and low-tech approaches such as using a code word in a telephone conversation or a news broadcast also provides easy way to communicate in secret.
- San Jose Mercury News: Tuesday, September 25, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the topic of steganography.
- Der Spiegel News Magazine, Germany: Tuesday, September 25, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed to discuss the crypto debate in the US, privacy concerns, and steganography.
- Deutsche Welle News: Tuesday, September 25, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed to discuss an introduction to and examples of steganography.
Newsweek Web Exclusive: Friday, September 21, 2001
In the article Coded Communications by Peter McGrath, Dr. Neil F. Johnson was
partially quoted as saying "I'd expect it [steganography] to have been used".
The response Neil actually gave to the reporter was, "I expect that any person or
organization with an interest in privacy and secret communications will use whatever
technology is available be it cryptography, steganography, or something else."
- TechTV On-Line: An illustration of steganography is provided from Neil F. Johnson's website
in the article
What Is Steganography? by TechTV staff writers.
- Interactive Week: Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed to discuss an introduction to steganography.
- San Jose Mercury News: Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the topic of steganography and computer forensics.
- Baltimore Sun: Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the topic of encryption, steganography, privacy, and digital forensics.
- Washington Post:
Dr. Neil F. Johnson's research related to steganography is identified in the article
Terrorists' Online Methods Elusive U.S. Agencies Seek Experts' Help in Tracing Encrypted Messages
By Ariana Eunjung Cha and Jonathan Krim, Washington Post Staff Writers appearing Wednesday, September 19, 2001; Page A14.
- Le Monde Paris, France: Wednesday, September 19, 2001
Dr. Neil F. Johnson was interviewed on the topic of steganography, analysis, detection, and terrorism.
- US NEWS interviewed Dr. Neil F. Johnson
on the topics of steganography, steganalysis, and their applications
- Dow Jones News Monday, September 17, 2001
Agence France-Presse: Dr. Neil F. Johnson is quoted in the article
Internet Privacy at Threat After Terror Attacks, Experts Fear by Herve Asquin
- The Scotsman Online and Sunday Business news: Sunday, September 16 in
articles by Jat Gill and Eric Culp, Dr. Neil F. Johnson is quoted on comments related to steganography detection.
- National Public Radio (NPR) 23 July 2001: Dr. Neil F. Johnson and Special Agent Ken McGuire (FBI) together appeared on "Air Talk" with Larry Mantle; KPCC-FM, Pasadena, CA for a 1-hour interview on Steganography
- Associate Director, Neil F. Johnson quoted in March 2001 edition of ON Magazine (formerly Time Digital) in the article "Hiding in Plain Sight" (p38) and his role of steganography in law enforcement
- Neil F. Johnson interviewed live on CNET Radio regarding Digital Watermarking, Intellectual property protection, and the music industry
Send comments to nfj(at)jjtc(dot)com.
Copyright, ©1995-2012, Neil F. Johnson. All Rights Reserved.